The first Evenburg was built by Colonel Erhard Reichsfreiherr von Ehrentreuter as a baroque moated castle. The elaborately designed main building is built on a castle island surrounded by a wide moat. Illustrations show it as a two-story brick building with lower additions on both sides on a basement level. The very qualitative design in the style of Dutch Classicism is comparable with buildings of the famous Dutch architects of the mid-17th century such as Jakob van Campen, Philips Vingboons or Pieter Post. The builder named the castle after his wife Eva von Ungnad - "Evenburg". Only one generation later, the properties passed to the Counts of Wedel by marriage in 1690. At this time the outer castle was built. It was originally a horseshoe-shaped complex of buildings, parts of which have been preserved to this day. The portal jamb bears the date 1650, and the gateway was inserted in 1703. By the middle of the 19th century, the castle had become too small and unfashionable for the needs of its inhabitants. Carl Georg Graf von Wedel commissioned the Hanoverian architect Rudolf Stüve (1828-1896) to expand and remodel Evenburg Castle. The architect's report states that the chateau is in great need of repair and "poorly furnished," with some components completely dilapidated. Only the perimeter walls, some partition walls and the cellar vault of the main building were used for the new construction. In the vestibule, the bluestone marble floor was reused. Richard Stüve proposed the neo-Gothic style for the new building. Delicate, slender soaring structural elements and forms and the pointed window arches are characteristic of this. The new castle was built in a construction period of two years. The Evenburg soon received a loggia next to the main entrance and an outbuilding, the so-called wheelhouse, on the castle island. In the area of the outer castle, sheds and shelters were built. From 1864 began the construction of greenhouses for the cultivation of pineapple and wine. In 1865, a Gulfhaus was built for the Meierhof, which surpassed the manor house in size and was also intended to raise the agricultural management of the count's land to a new level. This was followed in 1869 by the construction of a villa in the royal seaside resort of Norderney. In 1891, thanks to the count's financial commitment, the Lutheran Peace Church in Loga was consecrated. The Carl-Georgs-Forest was established in the Friedeburg district. In the 1930s, the von Wedels moved their main residence to Gödens Castle, where the family still lives today. Since then, the structural decline of the castle began. Due to the lack of funds in economically difficult times and the high maintenance costs, the filigree stepped gables, battlements, turrets and the roof were gradually simplified or dismantled. A contemporary document from 1938, written down on a roof slate, proves this. The roofer Johann Krull from Leer, who was commissioned with renovation work at that time, describes that the roof slates were torn off, the crenellations were removed and the roof was extended 80 cm and provided with gutters. Further simplification of the roof design and facades occurred during reconstruction to repair war damage in the 1950s.